Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Haiti Help

The earthquake in Haiti happened almost two months ago. This tragedy was heart-breaking for everyone... I think we have all felt helpless. My sweet husband has most definitely felt that heart-break because he served his mission in Haiti. He truly loves the Haitian people and has many dear friends who still live there. One of those dear friends is Fritzner, a former mission companion. He and his sweet wife Carole run an orphanage in Haiti with 24 kids. After the devistating quake, they were taking care of 85 kids. Their struggle is impossible for us to understand... it is heartbreaking and yet they are full of hope and optimism. We have wondered on a daily basis what we can do to help.Here is where my sweet 7 year old steps in. A couple of days after the earthquake, Dallin watched the news with us. He saw the devistation, the death, the sadness, and he sweetly felt for their pain. With tears in his eyes, he looked at me and asked "what do I do?". I told him to think about it. As I tucked him into bed later on that night, his response was that he wanted to raise money for Fritzner's orphanage. The next week, he had made flyers, put out a bucket in his elementary school, and money envelopes at his previously attended preschool. The fundraising went on for a couple of weeks and in the end, my kind-hearted son raised almost $900. He has inspired me to be better.
Here is the letter that Dallin wrote to help raise funds at both schools:


Helping Hands for Haiti

The earthquake that happened last week in Haiti makes me sad.

I was watching the news with my parents, and I decided that I wanted to help.

My Dad served a 2 year mission in Haiti, has many good friends there and will be going there soon to help translate and rebuild his friend’s orphanage.

Fritzner and Carole’s orphanage used to have 24 kids and now has 85 because of the earthquake... they need our help and I KNOW we can help.

I went into my room, grabbed my piggy bank and decided to donate my money to these kids… I hope you will do the same.

It will make your heart feel good.

My Dad will take the money we earn with him to Haiti and give it to the orphans… from our hands to theirs.

Thank you, Dallin Waldron – NVES 1st grader

At Friday morning lineup, Dallin was recognized in front of the whole school for his efforts. Peter thanked the kids for their donations and shared some phrases of gratitude in Haitian-Creole. Dallin smiled ear to ear. They were given the bucket filled with money (as well as some sweet notes).
Peter and I will be heading to Haiti in April. What a joy it will be to hand the money that was donated by the hands of children in Southern California to the hands of the sweet orphan children in Haiti.

7 comments :

Baker said...

Wow. I'm without words here. Simply amazing. Inspiring. And a post my children will definitely be reading. Thank you Dallin. And parents. :)

Jennifer said...

That is so great. Way to go Dallin.

Papa said...

There is a great story about Joseph Smith. He and some friends were talking about a neighbors house that had just burned down. They all expressed how sorry they were. Joseph Smith pulled five dollars from his wallet and said "I'm sorry to the amount of five dollars, how sorry are you?" Dallin, thank you for inspiring and teaching us not to just talk about things that could be done, but going out and doing something.

allyson said...

It's so amazing to watch our children grow up and become such amazing individuals. You know that they are truly down here at this time to become our leader in these days. It's good to know that we will be in good hands.
How wise and sweet! xoxo

The J said...

I love sweet Dallin. It brought tears to my eyes. I was wondering what Peter was going to do to help out. Our cousin Paul has already been there once and is going back, they should talk to each other about how to prepare and stuff. I know Pete's been back already since his mission but I think it's completely different world now. Good luck! I'm so excited to hear how much it helps out and to see the pictures.

The Ynclans said...

You have a sweet big boy there. Good luck in Haiti. I don't think I could go down there to an orphanage without adopting a dozen. Give them all big mom hugs for me.

angie said...

I thought about you guys a ton with everything going on in Haiti, I remembered that Peter had served there. We are doing fundraisers here too, but it makes it more personal knowing you guys are going down! Take care!