Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Wonderful Weekend

Last week, I decided to make the trek to Utah to attend President Hinckley's funeral. I was fortunate enough to get some "extended family tickets" to his funeral and that was my cue to go. This decision was made on Wednesday morning. Peter was going to come with me but later on that day decided he really needed to stay at home. I went to mutual that night really nervous to make the drive with Dallin and Claire all by myself the next morning. I then saw Ali (one of our favorite babysitters and an amazing 15 year-old) in the hall. I asked her if she wanted to drive with me to Utah the next day, she asked her mom (another one of my favorite people), called me at 10 p.m. to say okay and I picked her up that next morning at 7:30. What a blessing she was to me on this trip. She picked up the kid's toys when they dropped them, she put bandaids on pretend owies, she watched the kids while I put gas in the car or ran to the restroom, she even caught the chewed up candy (that Claire didn't want) in her hand. I don't know what I would have done with out her. The trip to Salt Lake was wonderful and we had an absolutely amazing weekend there. Here are some of our unforgettable memories:

Thursday-

-Had dinner with my brother, Dave, in Provo (the kids were so excited to see him).

-Stayed the night with the Sipes in their beautiful home in Sandy. The kids had a hard time going to sleep with all the fun things to do there.

Friday -

-Played in the snow that morning and then got ready to attend President Hinckley's viewing.

-Dave and Jen (my cute sis) met us at the Sipes and we drove to Salt Lake.

-Met up with Milo Wright (was my sunday school teacher and is a good friend of the family from Washington who now lives across the street from the Conference Center).

-Stood in line (and sat in the Conference Center) for 4 hours before we were taken the the hall of prophets to see our beloved prophet. My sweet children were wonderful as we waited for what must have been an eternity to them. The 4 hours waiting was absoulutely worth the 15 seconds we had to walk past our prophet and pay tribute to him. Tears filled my eyes as I passed the casket and Dallin asked why I was crying. I told him it was because I love President Hinckley so much and will really miss him. My sweet Dallin then got huge tears in his eyes as he saw the prophet and said "I love him too, Mom." My trip was complete.

-After this incredible experience for all of us, we went back to the Wright's apartment and were able to visit with Milo and Maria for a bit (they sure are wonderful)!

-When we arrived back at the Sipes home, there was a fabulous dinner waiting for us (of course made by Ann) and we had a fun evening of stories and dominoes.

Saturday-

-What an unforgettable day this was. Dave, Jen, Ali, Sydney (Ali's sister), and I were fortunate enough to get tickets and attend President Hinckley's funeral in the Conference Center (thank you Jim and Ann for watching the kids). Never in my life have I experienced the Spirit like I did that day. The funeral was amazing and I literally felt like I was being suffocated by the Spirit (in a really good way). After the funeral was over (and before the procession to the cemetary), I passed about 30 sister missionaries all crying with smiles on their faces and hugging each other. It made me so grateful for the opportunites we have to feel of the spirit with members of our faith and shed a few (or a lot) tears together. I was really touched to see their love for the prophet and each other.

-After President Hinckley's grave was dedicated and the funeral came to a close, a group in the audience at the Conference Center began to sing "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet." Just when I thought the day couldn't be any better (or any more emotional), I became overcome with emotion and gratitude for the opportunity I had to be there. When that song came to a close and we all began to quietly file out, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang "God Be With You Till We Meet Again" as they walked out of the Conference Center. Never in my life will I forget this experience or the feeling of absolute surety that this man who has passed was the true prophet of the Lord. I would have walked from California to Utah to have had this experience.

-We drove back to Provo to stay with my Grandma Hinckley and always love being with her!

Sunday-

-Dallin, Claire, Jen and I attended Dave's singles ward at BYU and it brought back all sorts of fun memories. Dave bore a beautiful testimony and the kids were the absolute center of attention (since there are no kids in the single's wards). We had a great time playing in Jen's cute apartment and Dallin attended "Break the Fast" with Dave (and apparently learned how to flirt during a pretty great snowball fight).

-We had a wonderful dinner at my cousin Shaun's house and enjoyed playing games and watching the Superbowl together. Dallin and Alyson (cousin) had so much fun together as did Claire and Garrett (cousin).

Monday-

-We made the drive back home. Ali had a blast hanging out with Sydney and being a part of the college crowd over the weekend and it was so wonderful being able to reminisce with her about our amazing weekend. We listened on the radio to the announcement of the new First Presidency and it made me realize how grateful I am for the gospel and for our past and present prophet and I am also so grateful for the strengthing of my testimony this weekend. What a wonderful weekend!!

While we were waiting in line for the viewing, a photographer from a St. George newspaper took pictures of Dallin and my brother Dave playing "rock, scissors, paper." Here is the link to see the photo:
http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=G3&Date=20080201&Category=PHOTOGALLERIES10&ArtNo=802010801&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=6

12 comments :

debra said...

So many comments I want to make, but I can't see my keyboard very well at the moment. Thank you for sharing your amazing experience Missi! I'm so glad you were able to make the trip and that you had such awesome help too!

I'm kicking myself for not going to the viewing, but I had an insane week and have heard several amazing stories about it. I'll just live vicariously through you if you don't mind.

Other than Saturday, I hope you didn't freeze your tushes off... Utah is TOO cold right now!

Love you!

P.S. I have your earings and LOVE them! Gosh- we have good taste!

Jennifer said...

Missi I am so jealous of you...Next time call me and I will be your babysitter driver :)

It sounds like you had an awesome experience...Thanks so much for sharing!

I was really missing Claire on sunday but I guess she had a good excuse to not be in nursery...

Angie Whitman said...

Missi~ that was so touching to read. Really. What an AMAZING, amazing experience you will never forget. Thank you for letting me feel like I was kind of there. You are a great writer! I can only imagine the Spirit that was present...what a special day!

Ammon said...

What an amazing, sacred opportunity. Thanks for sharing.

Linds said...

Miss,
What an amazing experience and opportunity. Thank you for sharing that with us. It sounds incredible. How fabulous to have Ali with you too. I am sure it was just as wonderful for her. I could hear you telling the story as I read it...wish we were there or at least could hear you tell it in person. I miss you!

Jen Bug said...

I am SO glad that you, Ali, Dallin, and Claire could come to Utah! What an amazing, unique, spiritual experience it was, and I am so grateful that I could be with you all! I love you guys!

G'ma B said...

Missi, I love your blog (I have been lurking for a while). What a great experience - thanks for sharing it. I had tears in my eyes, too. I just wish our family could have seen you and your kids while you were here. I know several of my daughters also read your blog. I loved the picture of Dave and Dallin in the St. George paper. Keep up the good writing and the great photos.
Love,
Aunt Susan

angie said...

i was thinking that you probably went, so thank you for sharing with us. i know that just watching it from afar was amazing...so i can only imagine.

The Ynclans said...

Wow, What an experience. You are an amazing woman to drive all the way up to Utah by yourself! It was all worth it!

Barbara said...

Thank you for sharing your incredible experience. It was hard not to tear-up while reading about it, but when I looked at that precious picture at the end of Dave and Dallin playing, I just quit fighting it. :) I appreciate you sharing something so special.

Krissy Lowe said...

I love seeing all of the pictures, and hearing again about how wonderful of an opportunity that was to go. What a wonderful experience. I love that Dallin has that memory of seeing President Hinckley.

It makes me miss you and Ali. She is seriously the BEST.

Peterson Clan said...

Missi...You are soo lucky that you were able to attend Hinckley's Funeral and viewing! What an awesome experience to be able to share with your children and for them to see the love that you had for our dear sweet Prophet! I loved what you wrote about the weekend and I even started choking up just thinking about how strong the spirit must have been felt at that time. love ya-Jenn