Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2008

My Superhero

Today in sacrament meeting, a sister gave a talk on "superheros". She mentioned that Batman and Superman are pretty cool but will never compare to the everyday superheroes around us. Real superheros are those that fight for hope and happiness... they are the ones that quietly serve and give of themselves freely to others like the Savior did/does. President Gordon B. Hinckley has been my superhero on this earth and I am so sad to hear the news that my hero has just passed away. I will never be able to put into words how I feel about this man, this prophet of God, but I know that he is receiving the most incredible welcome into heaven at this moment. I loved his faith, his determination, his wisdom, his love, the powerful Spirit always accompanying him, and I loved his sense of humor. How blessed we have been to have him lead and guide us for so long, and I feel such joy knowing that my name is associated with his. He will always be one of my Superheroes.

My friend Chelsea Monson had this poem posted on her blog and I also wanted to share:

Prophetic Passing
I imagine he’s running to Marjorie now,
Yes, running, not waving his cane.
I see him embracing his father and mother
While they keep repeating his name.

I see him now meeting his forebears,
Brother Brigham and Joseph are there.
Sweet reunion of prophets, united by service
That only such noble men share.

I see him embraced by the Savior
While Father says, “Good and well done.
So faithful in stalwart endurance, I welcome
My noble, most excellent son.”

I then hear the ripples of laughter
As he says the reception’s just fine,
But he hopes that he’ll get an assignment or two
Since there’s no need to waste any time.

I can hear his clear voice in the stillness
At the close of this sweet Sabbath day,
Have faith and move forward – there’s work to be done.
President Hinckley would want it that way.

Anna M. Molgard
January 27, 2008

5 comments :

Sarah said...

I just heard this too, and am just so sad. I am also happy that he can now be with his sweetheart again. I guess his work here is finished. I just always remember when I first met you and I was SOOOOOO excited because you were related to him! Miss you guys!

Ammon said...

I agree with you, although I feel sadness for our loss, I can't help but think of the happy reunion in heaven. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

We are all excited about the tender reunion he is experiencing with his sweetheart, Marjorie, his father and mother, and other family members. I imagine his brother, Ralph Waldo,and great grandfather to Missi, is giving him a huge high five. I'd like to be the proverbial fly on the wall as Unlce Gordon sits down and meets Joseph Smith, Nephi, Moroni, Brigham Young, etc. These are the things I think about every time I feel this gut wrenching sadness of his passing. I'm excited about being able to sustain and support President Monson. I can't even imagine all that must be going through his mind today. How lucky we are to proclaim - We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet!!! (past and present) Papa

Jennifer said...

Missi I can't believe you wrote that...When I first heard on Sunday that President Hinckley had passed away the first thing that kept coming to my mind was the "Superhero" talk that had been given at church..Great minds think alike I guess :)
His passing is such a bittersweet...He will definitely be missed!

debra said...

That is such a sweet poem- thank you for telling me about it. There is a void, but I agree with the poem that we just have to move on. I'm so grateful for the amazing example he was to us for so many years.

Your thoughts are so sweet... thanks for sharing them with us.