I like books, but I LOVE children's literature. When I walk into Barnes & Noble, I glance at the newest books, but head straight for the children's section... whether or not I'm with my kids. There is something about the imagination, creative writing, simple rhymes in these books that takes me back. I love reading to my kids, coming up with voices. I love it even more when we have read a book enough that they can recite it back to me. Spencer has been doing this with a book called "When a Monster is Born". He knows it by heart and even has hand motions to go along with it. I love reading this with him. Here are a few of our other favorites that we read together and Spencer's cute interpretations.Each Halloween, I decorate my front table like a crazy person. I have a spooky tree, pumpkins, haunted house, gravestones... but my favorite part of the table is a basket filled full of kids Halloween books. They are easily accessible and constantly read. I add a couple more every year.
It happens multiple times throughout the day... Spencer runs to the book basket, grabs his choice and says "C'mon Mommmy, let's read a book!" How in the world do you say no to that? We were late for preschool the other day because we were reading. In fact, we have been so rushed lately that our little book breaks have been a welcome retreat. I love this time with Spencer... not bad for a kid who hated reading books a year ago.
I took Spencer to the bookstore the other day (we go every so often) and he ran in, took a hard left and emerged into the enchanting kids book land... I wonder who he gets that from?

No comments :
Post a Comment