Spencer threw a few things today during sacrament meeting. He threw his Buzz Lightyear toy at my head... he threw his sippy cup and hit Brother Scott's head sitting in front of us... I then quickly took him out and he threw the biggest tantrum ever. There was a lot of crying, screaming, kicking, throwing himself on the ground over and over. It was Spencer's 2 year old grand finale (I hope). Trying to be a little more patient (I was at church after all), I calmly walked over to the manimal, reminded him that we don't throw things, picked him up and loved him. He put his head on my shoulder and calmed down (only occasional sporadic crying remnants). I walked over with him to a picture of the Savior hanging on the wall and said "who's that?". Spencer looked up and stared. I said, "it's Jesus" and he quietly lifted his lips up to the Saviors and kissed him. I wasn't sure if that was okay, kissing a beautiful piece of art hanging in the church, but I decided it was.
It reminded me of the scripture in 3 Nephi 11 when the Savior comes down from heaven and shows himself to the people of Nephi. Verse 18 and 19 says:
"And it came to pass that he spake unto aNephi (for Nephi was among the multitude) and he commanded him that he should come forth. And Nephi arose and went forth, and abowed himself before the Lord and did bkiss his feet."
It was a tender moment in that church hallway. I realize that Spencer is only 2... capable of throwing toys at my head and throwing a ginormous tantrum, but also very capable of knowing the Savior and loving Him just as Nephi. It was a small reminder that sometimes difficult moments in life bring about some of the greatest spiritual experiences. In the middle of that temper tantrum, I would never have said that I'm glad it happened, but after witnessing that sweet kiss, I'm so glad we ended up in the hall today.
1 comment :
what a sweet moment to remember!
Post a Comment