Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Super Swimmers


Another summer and another round of swimming lessons for Dallin and Claire. I really think they got it this time. We have completely retired the floaties (actually passed them down to Spencer) and they are so happy to be free and confident in the water. Our friend Kristen was their teacher again for the second summer and she did a great job. We are lucky to have her and only hope that she will return home from college next summer to teach them more!

Dallin had no hesitation jumping back in. He worked really hard on his strokes and we think it's hilarious that his left arm is way stronger than his right. He is quite amazing at retrieving items at the bottom of the pool. He swam really far this year (his super-goggles helped :)) and more than anything, he loves to jump into the pool in the silliest ways possible. "Hey Mom, I'm a firefighter jumping in. Hey Mom, look, I'm Bigfoot." Ah, 7 year old boys.
Claire started the lessons off hesitant (it's a tradition). About three lessons in, I decided to leave and apparently that changed everything. Nothing like kids saving their tantrums for moms. She got the hang of it again and I was allowed back into the pool to watch :). She was awesome... swimming all over the place, jumping in, belly flopping with no signs of belly burn, taking good breaths, etc. I call her "stealth" in the water because she is super-quiet and fast.


And then there is Spencer. He didn't participate in lessons this year, but he loves to be at the pool. Once his floaties are on, he is as independent as they come. He literally loves hanging out in the hot tub... just chillin'. That will all change next year, however, when I take those floaties off and make him swim in the big, cold pool. I'm preparing myself now for the inevitable Waldron initiation screams. Ahhh, the joys of swimming.

No comments :