Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bithday Barbecue


Where has this past year gone? I swear I was just hugely pregnant waiting anxiously for my baby to arrive, and somehow time has whirled around me and that "baby" turned one today. I remember when Dallin was a baby, we would celebrate each monthly birthday (ie: woo hoo, you're 3 month birthday!)... sorry Spencer. The third child syndrome. None-the-less, we LOVE our little tiny bug and are so grateful that he is a part of our family!For Spencer's first birthday, we decided to have a big hoopla. We sent some cute Backyardigan invitations to Spencer's favorite people (babysitters, church buddies, gym buddies, adopted grandparents, etc)... anyone who has been a special part of Spencer's life so far.
We spent the entire day getting ready for the festivities and Spencer seriously walked around the house all day like he owned the place... he knew something was up and that whatever it was, it was most definitely for him.
Once party time arrived, we had a really fun BBQ with lots of his good buddies.
The kids ran around the backyard (Spencer included) while the adults chatted. We had a lot of fun, but my favorite part was the cake segment of the party.
Spencer sat in his birthday throne, everyone sang to him, Claire instinctively blew out the candle for him, and Spencer went to town. He was given the entire top layer of the cake that my talented friend Heather made. Spencer began his cake demolition by smacking it... frosting was flying everywhere and Claire was there to catch it. He put his mouth on the cake, got a taste and then the snarfing began.

It was priceless. Here is a little video for the grandparents (sorry about the soon-to-be crick in your neck)...
After the crowd left, we opened some of his gifts and let him play for a bit. You should always be allowed to stay up a little later on your birthday, right!? Spencer partied until the wee hour of 8:30 and then passed out.Happy 1st Birthday to our sweet little Spencer.p.s. Spencer started walking last week and hasn't stopped since!

4 comments :

Papa said...

What a fun celebration for a darling boy! So much for the saying "you can't have your cake and eat it too" :-) I love the second picture in this blog - for a second I thought Spencer was wearing a brown toupee:-)

Nana said...

Absolutely precious!!! Much love to sweet birthday boy Spencer!

Aaron said...

So cute! I love the cake pictures. -Erin

keely said...

fun catching up on your blog. I can't believe little Spencer is 1! What a beautiful cake!