On Wednesday for mutual, the Beehives went around and gathered ward members' donations and we brought them back to my garage. I was amazed at how generous the ward members were with their donations.
Thursday was drop-off day. I stayed at home answering phone calls about drop-offs, waiting for drop-offs, helping unload the drop-offs and I really enjoyed having so many people stop by (thanks Cheri for the In-N-Out)! Again, amazed at the amount of stuff in our small garage.
<-our garage before & after
Friday consisted of a few more donation drop-offs and then the madness began :). We (the YW
Saturday started early as we attempted to have everything look decent and make paths for people to walk. The die-hard shoppers began to arrive as early as 6 and we sold, sold, sold until about noon. The young women sold cinnamon rolls and muffins and also helped re-sort the clothing and held down the pop-up that was blowing away in the wind (the winds were crazy... quite a few things blew over and shattered).
After the sale was over, we boxed all the left-overs up and the majority of it was picked up by a wonderful couple who drove it straight down to a community in Mexico (there were 4 truck-loads!). What a huge burden that took off our shoulders. The ward missionaries stopped by to say hi at the best time as we were loading all the trash into the Crump's truck. They tucked their ties into their shirts and began to work! By about 9 p.m. last night, the trash was gone, the boxes of stuff had been taken away, the garage was swept and back to normal and we were done! It was a very successful day and one of the most exhausting I have ever experienced. I really don't recommend the combination of hard labor, no sleep, very little to eat, and being out in the sun all day (can I throw in pregnancy?), but it was all well worth the result! How grateful we as the YW presidency are that this only comes once a year and we know the girls will have an amazing (and less expensive) experience at camp!
6 comments :
wow, that sounds like a serious undertaking! what a great experience, to all be working together. way to go girls!
I'm so glad it was such a success. I don't even know if I told you that I was gone at a family reunion on Saturday, so that's why I didn't even volunteer to help you poor people. I heard you made more than last year. Yippee! I say it's the young men's turn next year and the Y.W. can do the speghetti dinner! :-)
IMPRESSIVE!!!! I was the girls camp director last year, but I'm now in the YW Pres. as well and feel for all of you! We don't "get" to do a fundraiser, but we also have it WAY lucky up here... we go to the amazing Heber Valley Girls Camp, and I think it cost $15 for each girl at is the nicest girls camp I've EVER been to... I do remember how much our CA girls camps cost though-- average of $100 and up and that was 15 years ago! Almost like going to EFY.... awwwwww!
It's all worth it though- Camp is AWESOME!
You guys are an inspiration to all!
I am so glad that it is over. Wow! How much did you guys end up making? It sounds like it was a huge success.
That makes me exhausted just reading about it! I hope the result was worth the effort and hard work you had to put in. Get some rest! and...yes youcan definitely include pregnancy in there.
Post a Comment